(more photos and details after the jump!)
When I looked at the line drawings for the pattern, I thought that with so few overt fitting and design elements--no darts, no pockets, no collar, etc., this would be a great pattern for playing around with fabric choices. An interesting fabric (or combination of fabrics!) can really be the star here, with no fussy bits to fight with it.
I pondered a number of possibilities, looked at other people's Suttons for inspiration, and also considered what I might wear a blouse like this for--and finally decided it might be fun to make a glammed-up, date-night, drinks-and-dancing-with-the-crew version.
I used a super-soft-and-slinky interlined satin in silver for my base fabric here, and overlaid the bodice with a frilly, lightly-sequined black netting (two words: Wonder Tape!).
I love how the silver of the satin reflects off the sequins, making them a little extra sparkly.
Also, can I just say that I love French seams?! I do them on every project I can get away with them on. This was almost too bulky, but it worked.
I liked the idea of turning and stitching for avoiding raw edges on the side seams. The netting was a little tough to fold neatly (and pressing was dangerous and ineffectual, even with a press cloth; my poor iron still kept picking up sequins) so the side seam allowances are--well--frillier than I might like, but I don't think there's any getting around that.
I bound the neck after everything was done, sewing the binding together in a V as though it was a facing.
(Let me tell you--this interlined satin makes AH-MAZING bias tape. It's so soft and stretchy!)
The high-low hem was also new to me--I very much liked the pattern's method for getting nice corners.
Fitting was more challenging than I expected--mostly because I don't think I've ever sewn anything with this shape before! I am narrow-shouldered and large-busted, so I always do full bust adjustments. Here, though, I really didn't want to disrupt the design by adding darts or gathers or extra pleats, so instead I chose the initial size as though I was going to do an FBA, but instead did several rounds of grading out the bodice, little by little, till it looked about right.
I also raised the back yoke a smidge (1/4") and took a teeny weeny (about 1/8") sliver out of the front neckline.
The grading shortened the bottom of the sleeves to just about nothing.
After trying a muslin like this, I decided I liked them that way, so didn't extend them on the pattern. I have disproportionately large upper arms, too, so anything that gives me more sleeve room I am here for. I still get the semifluttery effect, but I have more arm movement than I might otherwise.
I was thinking of this primarily as a going-out blouse, but let's be real here: I am the sort of person who wears sequinned things to work, with no shame at all. It will very likely show up in my office one day soon.
I mean it.