14 August 2015

Maxidress Madness: McCall's 6700



Yes, I know, I'm late as all heck jumping on this bandwagon, but I DON'T CARE.


I stumbled across the pattern for this in a local shop for like a dollar.  I though it looked like a good buy--easy to sew and easy to wear.  I was a little surprised that it required knit rather than woven fabric--the dress on the envelope looks woveny to me--but I have plenty of knits I haven't sewed up so I went on with it. I broke out this pretty print that had been in the stash for a long time and went to work.

It took me longer to put this together than most folks, although I made very few alterations.  Actually, all I did was add to the skirt, grading out at the waist and hip.  The bust point measurement for the size that I usually cut for an FBA actually matched me, so I decided to give it a chance.

The most difficult parts of this were the shoulders.  I somehow don't have a loop turner (how?) and the tubes are so tiny, plus In the jersey they stretched. I gave up out of frustration and just stitched the long ends together and knotted the ends. Next time I'll do them properly.   Also, the shoulders gathered a lot when I attached the elastic, but they flattened out when I attached the straps (which are stitched to the outside shoulder seams). In the end, they were ok.


The bust ended up fitting pretty well--I did find that once I removed the basting that held each section to each other that---well, I need to baste them back together for modesty. 


was surprised to find that it was actually floor-length on me! I dunno how more petite ladies deal. Also pleasant: the high waist hit at my waist.



I made the sash that comes with the pattern, but after trying it a few times I decided I prefer the dress without it.  Next time I might do a wider sash, or completely go without. 

I wore it to work with a cardigan.  Except for the gaping top issue, it was very comfy! Definitely a Secret Pajamas sew. 




Yay! 



3 comments:

Maura said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I hope that this reaches you. I am mgjulie from Instagram and read your reply to my comment. I did not feel it appropriate to continue this discussion there and hope that I did not offend you in any way.

Everyone has different experience in life and form their opinions from those experiences. My experience comes from being born in the 40's and experiencing the civil rights movement close up and personal. I did grow up with white water fountains and white bathrooms and knowing which stores you could enter and which ones you were not welcome in. In that era voices were silenced. It was a dangerous time to live for anyone not agreeing with the establishment's point of view. I remember talking about a black woman and referring to her as a "lady" and being quickly reprimanded that she not be referred to as a "lady". That confused me then and confuses me today. The most surprising thing about that incident to me was the fact that the person reprimanding me was from Boston, MA!

It is certainly a different time now. I went to Harriet Tubman School. We knew who she was, but it was not taught. Voices are being heard today. I moved away from the south and experience more discrimination against others. It is not discrimination against just blacks, but discrimination against anyone not like us. It is a fear that this country of "ours" is going to turn out to be a country of "them" whoever "them" might be.

My firm belief is that education is what may bring us out of all this hatred and fear! Not just education, but the respect and appreciation of what education can do. Our former President was educated and new that education is the way to be successful.

When I say education, I am referring to a broader definition than just books. Not everyone has the same interests or abilities. Sometimes a person can learn the basics of education and then go on to learn and prepare for a life doing something that is more suitable to them. It could be anything from vocational to technical. To have someone stay in a public school just to fail is so wrong. The education should meet what is appropriate to them. Education should be thought of as a preparation for life, to be as good as you can be in whatever you choose in life.

Apologies for going on. I don't get the opportunity to voice my opinions on this often and, again, I hope I have not offended you in any way. Your experiences are so different from mine and I believe that sharing experiences helps to understand one another and to form new, more enlightened, opinions.

Alan Curtis said...

I want to share with you all here on how I got my loan from Mr Benjamin who helped me with a loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i applied for the loan when things were getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin granted me loan without delay. Here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com.

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com