10 November 2009

TWD: Cran-Apple Crisp



So, um, I guess Tuesdays with Dorie became Thursdays With Dorie for me this week.  Sorry people!  Normally I do my TWD baking over the weekend, but this weekend an old friend and I went on a spur of the moment trip north of the border to Toronto!

 the CN tower, our one concession to tourist shenanigans

It was the first visit for both of us and we had a lot of fun shopping, eating, walking, and even going salsa dancing.  It was nice to be back in a city again.  I don't think I realized how much I needed a trip until after I got back from this one. 

I twisted my ankle on the way back, so I've been off my feet and haven't been able to bake until today, but this week's recipe, chosen by Em, is crazy easy to put together.  Flour, sugar, oats, coconut, butter.  Blitz.  Craisins, cranberries, apples, sugar. Stir and dump. Crumble topping.  Throw in oven and forget for a while.  The most time-consuming bit was peeling and chopping the apples.  I made a 1/2 recipe and still had too much for my ramekins, so I baked the whole thing in a souffle dish.


I took it out at 50 minutes, thinking it looked done, and let it cool before cutting into it.


Now here, dear reader, is where I take a moment to wax philosophical about the awesomeness of this TWD project.  It forces me to try things I would not otherwise.  You see, I have never eaten, much less baked, a "Crisp" before.  I have heard of them. No one I knew ever made them (down south we bake cobblers) and they never looked particularly appealing, as I really don't even like fruit desserts.  Also, I've never baked with cranberries.  This is not a recipe I would have ever chosen on my own, but I can tell you it's very yummy.  The topping is nice and crunchy like granola, and the fruit is sweet (almost a tad too sweet;  I may cut the sugar to 1/4 cup next time).  It's a keeper.  Fast, unfussy, inexpensive, tasty, and you can even pretend that it's healthy!  What's not to like? 

Next week we have COOKIES! I am too excited.  I LOVE cookies!   OMGsies!  Can. not. wait.  I might make these over the weekend!

0 comments:

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com